Many commercial horse treats are high in sugar and starch and contain heating ingredients making them unsuitable for a many horses. All horses deserve to be treated, so that's why we’ve created our very own healthy horse treat recipe to share with you all.
This recipe is super simple to follow and is a great fun activity that you can do on your own, with kids or even friends. If you are struggling to find an activity to keep your pony-crazy kids entertained in the house during the colder months, making your own horse treats is a great idea.
- 450 grams of shredded carrots
- 500 grams of unsweetened applesauce
- 60 grams of ground flaxseed
- 80 grams of coconut flour
- 60 grams of chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Teaspoon garlic granules
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded carrots and unsweetened applesauce. Mix them thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ground flaxseed, coconut flour, chia seeds, salt and garlic.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until a dough forms. You may need to adjust the consistency by adding a bit more coconut flour or applesauce if it's too wet or dry.
- Using damp hands shape the mixture into small balls - this recipe typically makes 24 treats, however you can make them bigger or smaller depending on how many you want to make.
- Place the treats on the prepared baking sheet and flatten them down slightly to form a ‘cookie’ shape, leaving a little space between each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove the treats from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once they are completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container, if stored correctly treats should remain good for around five days.
Suitable for horses with Laminitis, Cushings or EMS
These treats are suitable for the vast majority of horses and ponies. We ensured this recipe is low it sugar and starch so that it is suitable for those with or prone to Laminitis, Cushings, EMS and other metabolic conditions. It's also suitable for those who require a low sugar and starch diet to enjoy.
This recipe is completely free from heating ingredients such as oats, molasses, barley, wheat, maize and soya, so makes them perfect for spooky, reactive horses and those prone to ‘heating up'.
Whilst we have endeavoured to ensure these treats are suitable for all horses and ponies, we do understand that some of your four-legged friends may have allergies or intolerances to certain ingredients, if that is the case just let us know and we can advise on a suitable substitution.
As with all treats, our Healthy Horse Treats should be fed as part of a healthy, balanced diet and enjoyed by your equine friend in moderation.
Order alternative treats
We know that making your own treats can be a time consuming process, if you can’t find the time for this don’t worry we have you covered - check out our Horsey Treats, made entirely from natural liquorice with no added sugar, starch or preservatives making them the ideal treat for all horses and ponies. Even better you can pick up a large bag here for just £9.99!