As the excitement of Black Friday approaches, it's essential to pause and consider the environmental impact of this shopping frenzy. Beyond the allure of discounts and deals lies a sobering truth – Black Friday contributes significantly to carbon emissions, plastic waste and extensive environmental damage.
At Equinutritive, we recognise our responsibility to minimise our ecological footprint and are committed to making a positive change. Join us this Black Friday weekend as we launch our Green Friday initiative, planting a tree for every order placed through our online store.
The Environmental Toll of Black Friday
- Every year, Black Friday contributes a staggering 429,000,000 kilograms of emissions from deliveries alone. To put this into perspective, it equals 435 return flights from London to New York City. The impact is further amplified by the fact that one-third of Black Friday shoppers admit to returning at least one item, contributing even more to greenhouse gas emissions.
- A concerning 80% of goods purchased on Black Friday come wrapped in plastic, much of which ends up in landfills or is improperly disposed of. This not only harms the environment but also poses a threat to wildlife.
- Black Friday exacerbates the issue of waste, with a 25% increase observed between the shopping extravaganza and New Year's. Much of this waste comprises of unwanted Black Friday purchases - it is thought that every year up to 80% of Black Friday purchases will end up in landfill. Additionally, the demand for mass-produced goods during this period often results in unethical production conditions.
How We Reduce Our Impact
- Our commitment to minimal waste includes hand-mixing all products, ensuring that each item is dispatched directly from our warehouse to reduce CO2 emissions.
- We use only the finest natural ingredients from reputable and ethical suppliers. Our products contain no additives or lab-produced compounds, and any leftover product can be added to your compost heap. Our packaging, including herb bags and boxes, is recyclable or biodegradable, eliminating unnecessary waste.
- Unlike supplements that often come in hard plastic tubs, our robust herb boxes double as shipping containers. These durable boxes not only protect your product but also contribute to reducing unnecessary packaging waste.
Whilst we recognise that all of this is great, we know that more needs to be done for Mother Nature not just this Black Friday Weekend but year round! From now on, every order placed through our online store will contribute to our commitment to the environment. For every single purchase, Equinutritive will plant a tree, aiming to counteract deforestation and actively participate in the fight against climate change.
Where Do We Plant Trees?
We are working in Partnership with Sprout/The Good API and Eden Reforestation Projects, who work to restore Madagascar's mangrove and coastal inland forests. Thanks to your orders, the planting of growing of Mangrove trees helps to support wild life diversity, improve coastlines, provide meaningful wages to indigenous populations and offset the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere.
Why Do We Plant Trees?
Trees play a crucial role in absorbing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the environment, accounting for nearly 80% of global greenhouse gas emissions. By converting CO2 into oxygen, trees help maintain the delicate balance of our ecosystem.
Deforestation, a consequence of cutting down trees, not only contributes to carbon emissions but also disrupts the habitats of countless wildlife species. To put the scale of this issue into perspective, it takes 450 mature trees to absorb the annual CO2 emissions of just one person. Globally, mangrove systems are estimated to hold an astounding 20 trillion kilograms of carbon.
As consumers, the choices we make during events like Black Friday can have a lasting impact on the planet. Equinutritive encourages mindful shopping that aligns with sustainability. By choosing Equinutritive this Green Friday, you not only provide the best quality supplements for your four-legged friend but also contribute to a healthier, greener planet. Together, let's make every purchase count for the well-being of our horses and the Earth.